Fresh tension has gripped Utono community in Ngaski Local Government Area of Kebbi State following a letter allegedly sent by suspected terrorists demanding N100 million before they would be allowed to enter the town to “preach.”

The threat comes amid growing security concerns in parts of Kebbi and neighbouring states, where armed groups have carried out deadly raids, kidnappings, and extortion in rural communities.

In the letter reportedly delivered to community leaders in the early hours of Thursday, the assailants warned residents not to treat the message lightly.

“This is not a joke. We are coming to preach. You must pay us N100 million.

“If you refuse, you will face the consequences and have no one to blame but yourselves. Even if you call soldiers, they cannot stop us,” the letter read.

The group also referenced a previous attack on Woru community in Kiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, where several people were reportedly killed after a similar warning was ignored.

A community source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to security concerns, said the letter has thrown residents into panic.

“People are scared. The mention of what happened in Woru has made the threat more frightening. Many families are already discussing safety plans in case anything happens,” the source said.

Confirming the authenticity of the letter, the Chief Press Secretary to the Kebbi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Idris, who spoke with our correspondent on Thursday evening by telephone, said the state government has swung into action to forestall any attack.

“I just spoke with the Director of Security; he confirmed the information and said security has been deployed to the area,” Idris told our correspondent.

He added that the government is not taking the threat lightly.

“The government, alongside security agencies, has deployed security to the area, including air surveillance.

“I am sure you know the state government is not playing with the security of the state. His Excellency (the state governor) has been up and doing on security matters, and this will not be an exception,” he said.

As of the time of filing this report, security presence has reportedly been reinforced around Utono and neighbouring settlements, while residents remain on high alert.

Meanwhile, the Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, said additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.

He said sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to stabilise the district and prevent further violence.

“The Command deeply regrets the loss of thirty-three innocent lives and extends its heartfelt condolences to the families affected and the entire Arewa community,” the statement read.

According to the police, “preliminary investigations revealed that suspected Lakurawa militants entered Bui District on February 18 to rustle cattle.

“The attackers were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area.”

Residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago reportedly mobilised in response, leading to a fatal confrontation.

The police emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention and warned residents against directly engaging such groups.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious movements through established security channels rather than confront armed criminals, as such actions pose grave risks,” Usman stated.

Earlier reports indicated that at least 34 people were feared killed when gunmen swept through several communities in Arewa LGA in coordinated daylight attacks, triggering panic across the wider Kebbi North Senatorial District.

Security forces have since launched targeted operations to track and apprehend the perpetrators, block escape routes and strengthen early warning mechanisms.

In a related development, the Niger State Police Command has recovered three AK-47 rifles, six magazines, and 104 rounds of ammunition from a sack belonging to two motorcycle accident victims in Suleja.

The accident occurred on Tuesday when two persons riding on a motorcycle were coming from the Tafa area of Kaduna State, heading towards Abuja, when they were involved in a lone accident after running into a road construction/diversion barrier.

A sack belonging to the accident victims was recovered by the police who rushed to the scene to assist the victims and when it was searched, three AK-47 rifles with six magazines and 104 ammunition were found in the bag belonging to the accident victims.

One of the accident victims died on the spot, while the second victim, who was injured in the accident, was lynched by a mob which also rushed to the scene to rescue the accident victims.

The spokesman of the Niger State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Thursday said the state Commissioner of Police, CP Adamu Elleman, condemned such acts of jungle justice.

The police boss said the suspect would have helped the Police to ascertain the source of the rifle and unravel their aim, rather than resorting to a self-help approach.

“Unfortunately, one of the accident victims died on the spot, and during an effort to rescue the second person from the scene to the hospital, he was lynched by the mob to death. The corpses were moved to the general hospital morgue in Suleja.

“He directed Area Commander Suleja to commence a thorough investigation and ensure arrest of the perpetrators while the rifles are under ballistic analysis for further investigation,” Abiodun stated.

Troops of the Joint Task Force Operation HADIN KAI have intensified operations against Boko Haram in Adamawa and Borno states, arresting collaborators, neutralising insurgents, and seizing weapons and drones used to attack security forces.

In a statement issued on Friday and signed by the Media Information Officer of OPHK, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the military said that “troops of Sector 4 under 28 Task Force Brigade apprehended 28-year-old Ismail Muhammed, a terrorist logistics supplier, in the Visik General area of Hong Local Government Area, Adamawa State.”

Items recovered from the suspect included “one AK-47 magazine, rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, military accoutrements and assorted foodstuffs.”

The suspect is currently in custody and undergoing further investigation.

In a separate operation in Madagali Local Government Area, troops “neutralised a terrorist commander, Abdullahi Mafa, during an ambush operation around the Visik River line,” recovering “an AK-47 rifle as well as a loaded magazine” from the insurgent.

Acting on further intelligence, the statement said troops also arrested 64-year-old Dauda Usman Gubula, described as a “terrorist collaborator and drone supplier responsible for supplying drones to the terrorists, which are subsequently locally armed and used against troops.”

Items recovered included “two aerial drones, drone accessories and 20 solar power banks,” highlighting the insurgents’ increasing use of technology in attacks.

Elsewhere in Borno State, OPHK troops, working closely with local vigilantes and the Civilian Joint Task Force, “repelled insurgent activity in Ngamdu and neutralised a terrorist informant attempting to breach defensive positions.”

Logistic items were recovered during these operations.

The statement emphasised that all actions form part of “sustained efforts to disrupt Boko Haram supply lines, restore security, and protect communities across the North-East region.”

The Military High Command commended the troops for “their sacrifices and dedication in the fight against terrorism in the North East region,” urging them “to sustain the operational tempo.”

Add TheNigeriaLawyer On Google News ______________________________________________________________________ ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR LAWYERS: A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE Reimagine your practice with the power of AI “...this is the only Nigerian book I know of on the topic.” — Ohio Books Ltd Authored by Ben Ijeoma Adigwe, Esq., ACIArb (UK), LL.M, Dip. in Artificial Intelligence, Director, Delta State Ministry of Justice, Asaba, Nigeria. Bonus: Get a FREE eBook titled “How to Use the AI in Legalpedia and Law Pavilion” with every purchase.

How to Order: 📞 Call, Text, or WhatsApp: 08034917063 | 07055285878 📧 Email: benadigwe1@gmail.com 🌐 Website: www.benadigwe.com

Ebook Version: Access directly online at: https://selar.com/prv626

______________________________________________________________________ New Year Promo: Get Five Maritime Law Books For N150,000 — 63% Discount The promotion, which commenced on January 8 and runs until February 8, 2026, offers five core maritime law books authored by Dr. Emeka Akabogu, SAN, ordinarily valued at N405,000, for just N150,000 — a 63% discount. Interested buyers can place their orders through the following channels: Phone: 0704 329 3271 Online Store: https://paystack.shop/aa-bookstore Website: www.akabogulaw.com ______________________________________________________________________ [A MUST HAVE] Evidence Act Demystified With Recent And Contemporary Cases And Materials
“Evidence Act: Complete Annotation” by renowned legal experts Sanni & Etti.
Available now for NGN 40,000 at ASC Publications, 10, Boyle Street, Onikan, Lagos. Beside High Court, TBS. Email publications@ayindesanni.com or WhatsApp +2347056667384. Purchase Link: https://paystack.com/buy/evidence-act-complete-annotation ________________________________________________________________________ The Law And Practice Of Redundancy In Nigeria: A Practitioner’s Guide, Authored By A Labour & Employment Law Expert Bimbo Atilola _______________________________________________________________________