China has criticised the United States (US) over its indictment of former Cuban leader Raúl Castro, urging Washington to stop using “coercion” and “threats” against Cuba.

The reaction came after U.S. authorities charged the 94-year-old former president and five others over the 1996 shooting down of two aircraft operated by the Cuban-American dissident group, Brothers to the Rescue.

The incident killed four people, including three U.S. citizens.

At the time of the incident, Castro was serving as Cuba’s defence minister. The charges filed against him reportedly include conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, murder, and destruction of aircraft — offences that could attract life imprisonment or the death penalty under American law.

Responding to the development on Thursday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said Beijing strongly opposes what it described as Washington’s use of judicial and sanctions mechanisms to pressure Havana.

“The United States should cease using sanctions and judicial apparatus as tools of coercion against Cuba and refrain from making threats of force at every turn,” Guo said during a press briefing.

He added that China “firmly supports Cuba” in defending its sovereignty and national dignity.

The indictment marks a major escalation in tensions between Washington and Havana under the administration of Donald Trump, who has intensified sanctions and economic pressure on the communist island in recent months.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has dismissed the charges as politically motivated, describing them as “a political manoeuvre, devoid of any legal foundation.”

China, a longstanding ally of Cuba, has repeatedly condemned U.S. sanctions on the island and called for an end to the American blockade. Earlier this month, Beijing accused Washington of violating international norms through its sanctions policy against Havana.

Follow Our WhatsApp Channel ______________________________________________________________________

“Order Your Copy Now” — Basil Momodu, Esq. Unveils Second Edition Of His Book, "Civil Procedure In Nigeria"

According to the learned author, Basil Momodu Esq. "Law review is a continuum. We will continue to track changes in the law to enrich future editions." Recommended Booksellers: Lagos: 08033855230, Abuja: 08035991379, and others. _______________________________________________________________________ “Enhance Legal Practice With Authoritative Reports” — Alexander Payne Offers Comprehensive Law Reports, Spanning Over A Century Of Nigerian Jurisprudence

Interested buyers are encouraged to place their orders and enquiries via: 0704 444 4777, 0704 444 4999, 0818 199 9888 Website: www.alexandernigeria.com

______________________________________________________________________ “Bridging Theory And Courtroom Practice” — Hagler Sunny Okorie, Nathaniel Ngozi Ikeocha Unveil ‘Functional’ Tort Law Book For Nigerian Legal System The book, titled The Law of Torts in Nigeria: A Functional Approach, authored by Professor Hagler Sunny Okorie Ph.D and Ikeocha, Nathaniel Ngozi Esq, offers law students, practitioners, and academics a comprehensive guide to understanding and applying tort law in Nigerian courts. Interested buyers can place orders via the following contact numbers: 08028636615, 08037667945, 08032253813, or +234 902 196 2209. ________________________________________________________________________ [A MUST HAVE] Evidence Act Demystified With Recent And Contemporary Cases And Materials
“Evidence Act: Complete Annotation” by renowned legal experts Sanni & Etti.
Available now for NGN 40,000 at ASC Publications, 10, Boyle Street, Onikan, Lagos. Beside High Court, TBS. Email publications@ayindesanni.com or WhatsApp +2347056667384. Purchase Link: https://paystack.com/buy/evidence-act-complete-annotation ____________________________________________________