The Independent National Electoral Commission has said it will study the Federal High Court judgment nullifying key parts of its revised timetable and schedule of activities for the 2027 general elections before deciding on its next line of action.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had, on Wednesday, voided aspects of INEC’s timetable relating to party primaries, submission of candidates’ particulars, withdrawal and substitution of candidates, publication of final lists, and campaign timelines.

The judgment was delivered by Justice M.G. Umar in a suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/517/2026, filed by the Youth Party against INEC.

The Youth Party had challenged the commission’s revised timetable, arguing that INEC exceeded its powers by fixing deadlines that shortened timelines expressly provided under the Electoral Act 2026.

In the judgment, the court held that INEC’s powers under Sections 29, 82 and 84(1) of the Electoral Act to receive notices of party primaries, receive candidates’ particulars, and monitor primaries do not extend to fixing or prescribing when political parties must conduct their primaries.

Justice Umar ruled that INEC cannot lawfully impose deadlines that are inconsistent with the Electoral Act or abridge statutory periods granted to political parties.

The court also held that INEC cannot shorten the period allowed for parties to submit candidates’ particulars, withdraw or substitute candidates, publish final lists, or end campaigns outside the timelines provided by law.

Under INEC’s revised timetable, political parties were expected to submit their membership registers by May 10, conduct primaries to select candidates, and complete withdrawals and replacements before the end of May ahead of the 2027 elections.

However, the court ruled that the commission lacked the statutory authority to impose such timelines where they conflicted with the Electoral Act.

Reacting to the judgment on Friday, INEC’s Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Victoria Eta-Messi, said the commission had not yet received the judgment and would need to study it before making any formal comment or decision.

“We have not received the judgment, and we cannot comment on it. Yes, the judgment is in the public domain, and we don’t know the reasons for the decision that was taken,” she said.

“So, there is a need to study the whole judgment and decide on the next step to take.”

The ruling comes at a crucial stage in preparations for the 2027 general elections, as several political parties have already conducted primaries for governorship, National Assembly and state assembly seats, while consultations and internal processes continue ahead of presidential primaries.

INEC had earlier released its revised timetable requiring most political parties to conduct primaries between April and May 2026.

The timetable had generated concerns among opposition parties and smaller political groups, which argued that the deadlines were too restrictive and could undermine internal party democracy.

Meanwhile, the national leadership of the Youth Party has disowned the suit, insisting that it was filed without the approval of its recognised leadership structures.

In a public disclaimer issued on Wednesday and signed by Solomon Oyekunle, the party said the suit and the judgment delivered by Justice Umar were not authorised by its National Working Committee or any official organ of the party.

The party said those behind the legal action acted independently and without any mandate from its leadership.

“We dissociate ourselves entirely from this suit, its proceedings, and the judgment arising therefrom,” the statement read.

The Youth Party reiterated its commitment to complying with INEC’s electoral guidelines and timetable for the 2027 general elections, stressing that it would not resort to litigation against lawful electoral processes.

It added that despite tight timelines, it would proceed with preparations for its National Convention scheduled for May 23, 2026, and its primaries fixed for May 29, 2026.

The party also warned that any individual who initiated or pursued the case without authorisation would bear personal responsibility for their actions.

With the judgment now in the public domain and the party named as plaintiff distancing itself from the suit, INEC’s next move is expected to determine whether the commission will appeal the decision, adjust its timetable, or issue fresh guidelines in line with the court’s interpretation of the Electoral Act.

______________________________________________________________________ “Enhance Legal Practice With Authoritative Reports” — Alexander Payne Offers Comprehensive Law Reports, Spanning Over A Century Of Nigerian Jurisprudence

Interested buyers are encouraged to place their orders and enquiries via: 0704 444 4777, 0704 444 4999, 0818 199 9888 Website: www.alexandernigeria.com

_______________________________________________________________________ [A MUST HAVE] Evidence Act Demystified With Recent And Contemporary Cases And Materials
“Evidence Act: Complete Annotation” by renowned legal experts Sanni & Etti.
Available now for NGN 40,000 at ASC Publications, 10, Boyle Street, Onikan, Lagos. Beside High Court, TBS. Email publications@ayindesanni.com or WhatsApp +2347056667384. Purchase Link: https://paystack.com/buy/evidence-act-complete-annotation ______________________________________________________________________ “Bridging Theory And Courtroom Practice” — Hagler Sunny Okorie, Nathaniel Ngozi Ikeocha Unveil ‘Functional’ Tort Law Book For Nigerian Legal System The book, titled The Law of Torts in Nigeria: A Functional Approach, authored by Professor Hagler Sunny Okorie Ph.D and Ikeocha, Nathaniel Ngozi Esq, offers law students, practitioners, and academics a comprehensive guide to understanding and applying tort law in Nigerian courts. Interested buyers can place orders via the following contact numbers: 08028636615, 08037667945, 08032253813, or +234 902 196 2209. _______________________________________________________________________

“Order Your Copy Now” — Basil Momodu, Esq. Unveils Second Edition Of His Book, "Civil Procedure In Nigeria"

According to the learned author, Basil Momodu Esq. "Law review is a continuum. We will continue to track changes in the law to enrich future editions." Recommended Booksellers: Lagos: 08033855230, Abuja: 08035991379, and others.