The President of the Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators ( ICMC) Emeka J. P. Obegolu, has said that the ICMC training institute will serve as an International centre for learning and research.
Mr. Obegolu said this whilst giving a breakdown of the activities of the Centre in 2019.
According to him, the Institute remain focused on their visions and their commitment is sacrificial and unrelenting.
Below Reads His Breakdown Of The Activities Of The Centre In 2019
Dear Esteemed Mediators,
I bring you greetings from the Governing Council and Management of the Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators (ICMC).
May I, on behalf of Council, welcome you to the new year while praying that the new year will bring forth monumental strides for the Institute and members in our pursuit of peaceful resolution of disputes through the mainstreaming of mediation as a preferred means of dispute resolution in Nigeria and beyond.
2018 has been adjudged to be a successful year for our Institute and we trust that with your continuing support and commitment, 2019 will surpass all our expectations. On the part of the Leadership, let me assure you that we remain focused on the visions of this great Institute and our commitment is sacrificial and unrelenting.
The highlights of the 2018 success stories include:
1. We organized and successfully held thirteen calendar trainings and many specialized off-calendar trainings.
We conducted seven Direct Admission to Fellow Cadre courses, six Upgrade to Fellow Cadre courses, two Direct Admission to Member Cadre courses, two Upgrade to Member Cadre courses, and five Training of Trainers Certification Trainings.
2. The Institute organized a Special Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training for Directors of the Federal Inland Revenue Service.
3. The Institute organized a Special Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training for Directors and Senior Management Staff of the Standards Organization of Nigeria in Lagos and FCT Abuja.
4. ICMC, in partnership with the Mediation Training Institute (MTI), organized a special one (1) day training on mediation skills for Catholic Bishops and clergymen in Nigeria.
5. The Institute consulted for and organized a training for the officers of the Legal department of Pensions Transitional Arrangement Directorate (PTAD) in Abuja.
6. The Institute collaborated with Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), a German donor agency, to organize Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Trainings for judicial officers.
7. The Institute, in partnership with the ACCI Dispute Resolution Centre, successfully organized and held two ADR Registrar/Secretary trainings in 2018.
8. On the 25th day of April, 2018, the Abuja branch of this esteemed Institute organized a public lecture and mock mediation simulation at the Ceremonial Court of the FCT Judiciary Headquarters, Maitama, Abuja, themed ‘The Use of Mediation in the settlement of Post-Election Matters: 2019 elections in view’.
9. We conducted Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training for the Honourable Judges of the Cross River Judiciary.
10. In the furtherance of our mission to train women leaders and wives of civil and public servants, the Institute conducted a Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training for Wives of Prison Officers
11. In October 2018, the Institute held a Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training for members of FIDA, Lagos chapter.
12. At the Nigerian Bar Association’s 2018 Annual General Conference which held in Abuja, the Director of Marketing & Membership Drive led a team from the Institute to interact with lawyers of the NBA with a view to introducing the Institute to them, to sensitize them on the importance of Mediation, Conciliation and ADR mechanisms as a whole, and to offer discounted trainings to NBA branches across the country.
13. The Institute consulted for the Ogun State Judiciary in the establishment of the Multi Door Courthouse in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State.
Distinguished colleagues, as part of our effort to contribute to addressing the threats of election violence in 2019, the Institute dedicated its 2018 annual ADR conference to distilling its role as interlocutors in electoral disputes while interrogating the dilemmas of mediators in such complex emergencies, hence the theme “The Mediation Dilemmas in Complex Emergencies: 2019 General Elections in Perspective”.
The Keynote Speaker at the 2018 ADR Conference was Mr. Owei Lakemfa, the former Secretary General of the Organization of African Trade Union Unity (OATUU).
The panelists were:
– Professor Mahmood Yakubu, the Chairman, INEC
– Mr. Babatunde Ogala, APC National Legal Adviser
– Dr. Bakut T. Bakut, the acting Director General, Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR)
– Dr. Haliru Yahaya, Emir of Shonga
– Mrs. Ummahani Amin, CEO, Metropolitan Law Firm
The moderator was Dr. Chukwuemeka Eze, the Executive Director of the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP).
We inducted more than 2,000 Associate Members in 2018 who were successful at the Accreditation Examinations, turned in their post course assignments and deemed worthy in learning and character. We also inducted 168 Members and 202 Fellows.
ICMC MEDIATION HOUSE
Under the leadership of the Chairman of the Land Acquisition Committee, Chief (Dr.) Paddy Njoku, the Institute, in 2018, acquired a plot of land measuring 2,000 sqm along Umaru Musa Yar’Adua Expressway, next to the Novare Mall and Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
The property has been fenced and further efforts are underway to build the “Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators Nigeria Mediation House” which will serve as the permanent office of the Institute’s Secretariat, training facility and Mediation Centre.
ICMC TRAINING INSTITUTE, ASABA
Through the efforts of Mr. Victor A.A.A. Ojaide, the Chairman of the ICMC Asaba branch, the Government of Delta State generously gifted the Asaba branch of the Institute with a plot of land measuring approximately 7440.881 sqm off Okpanam road, Asaba, Delta State.
Steps have been taken to develop the land and build the “ICMC Training Institute”, which will serve as an international centre for learning and research with collaborations from notable Mediation training institutes worldwide. We are hoping to be accredited as a learning centre for major universities around the world.
RESOLUTION OF GOVERNING COUNCIL
During the last meeting of the Governing Council which held on the 2nd day of December, 2018 in Abuja, it was resolved that the positions of 1st and 2nd Vice Presidents will be changed to 1st and 2ndDeputy Presidents.
The directorates of the Institute which include; Training, Marketing & Membership Drive, Exams & Records, Finance, Communication & Strategy and, Continuing Professional Education, will henceforth be headed by Vice Presidents who will determine policy for their respective directorates. Full time staff of the Secretariat will be engaged to see to the day-to-day running of their respective directorates.
Individuals holding the offices of President, 1st and 2nd Deputy Presidents, Registrar and Vice Presidents of Directorates will serve for a single tenure of three (3) years from 2020.
ICMC’S 20TH ANNIVERSARY
Distinguished Mediators, this is a milestone year as our Institute will celebrate the 20th anniversary of her existence. This is a great opportunity for us all to celebrate the founding members of our great Institute and the vision they shared.
The Governing Council, at her December, 2018 meeting, set up a committee to plan the activities to commemorate this milestone and within the coming weeks, we shall be receiving a report and proposal from the Committee which shall be communicated to members.
DIRECTORATE OF CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
This year, the Institute is introducing the directorate of Continuing Professional Education (CPE). This directorate will be charged with;
– offering various quality CPE courses in Mediation and ADR to the public (members and non-members);
– spearheading mentorship programs for members;
– organizing programs in line with fulfilling the Institute’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR); and
– launching other passion projects of the Institute.
ICMC NEWS OUTLET
In the coming weeks, we shall be presenting the ICMC news, events and articles blogosphere which will be a real-time online media outlet known as mediationbulletin.com. This initiative is designed to create professional awareness of Mediation and the developments in Mediation across Nigeria, Africa and beyond.
Members are welcome to send in articles and news relating to Mediation to email@example.com for it to be vetted and featured on the website.
DESIGNATION OF MEMBERS
Upon induction into the Institute as Associate Members, Members and Fellows, individuals are entitled to use the designation AICMC (Associate Member, Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators), MICMC (Member, Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators) and FICMC (Fellow, Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators), after their names.
Members in the respective membership cadres are encouraged to use their designations in their official correspondence, email signatures, and various social media pages.
The Institute currently has sixteen (16) branches spread all over the country. The branches are as follows; Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Lagos, Jos, Abeokuta, Ibadan, Enugu, Abakiliki, Awka, Asaba, Warri, Uyo, Calabar, Eket and Portharcourt.
Members domicile in these locations are encouraged to join their branches, attend branch meetings and participate effectively in branch activities. By attending branch meetings, members are afforded the opportunity to network and communicate with various dispute resolution practitioners who come from various professional backgrounds, which can benefit members in their practice of Mediation and Conciliation, and even in their professions.
PROFILES OF ICMC CERTIFIED MEDIATORS
This year, the Institute is proud to introduce the ICMC Membership Portal, where all inducted members of the Institute will have their Mediation profiles listed, which will be regarded as a list of certified Mediators and Conciliators in Nigeria. This will afford the public the opportunity to peruse through the list of certified Mediators in Nigeria and select individuals to facilitate the resolution of their disputes. Experienced Mediators can also be matched with Mediators with little or no experience for mentorship purposes.
Members are hereby enjoined to send in their Mediation profiles (maximum of 100 words), which should include their contact information and professional profile picture. Profiles should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICMC SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES
Members are implored to follow the Institute on our social media pages in order to keep abreast of partnerships and programs of the Institute. There will be online discussions periodically in which members are encouraged to participate.
You can find ICMC on Instagram: @icmcng; Twitter: @icmcng; Facebook: ICMC Nigeria and; LinkedIn: ICMC Nigeria. Members are encouraged to visit our new website www.icmcng.com.
ICMC 2019 MEMBERSHIP DUES
I encourage you to pay your 2019 membership dues. The dues for the different membership cadres are as follows:
• Associate Member: N6,000 (Six thousand Naira) only
• Member: N10,000 (Ten thousand Naira) only
• Fellow: N20,000 (Twenty thousand Naira) only
Account Name: ICMC Membership Dues
Bank: Zenith bank
Account Number: 1015308125
CONTACT PRESIDENT FOR SUGGESTIONS
For further enquiries and/or suggestions, kindly contact the President, Chief Emeka J.P. Obegolu, (Email: email@example.com).
On behalf of the Governing Council and Leadership of the Institute, I thank you for your continuous support and warmly wish you a happy and joyous new year.
Emeka J.P. Obegolu, FICMC, FCIArb
REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25 minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...Send your press release/articles to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Click here Subscribe to our BBM Channel: C01142506 Follow us on Twitter at @Nigerialawyers and Facebook @ facebook.com/thenigerialawyer For Advert Inquiries Tele/+234 806 819 1709 E-mail: email@example.com
Order for your copy now. Call +2347065222225, +2348033334902. Email us @..firstname.lastname@example.org Orlaurelsandprizes@gmail.comThe Electronic Law reports of the Court of Appeal Nigeria. Now Available @ courtofappealreportsnigeria.com
A Report Of The Judgement Of The 16 Divisions Of The Court Of Appeal In Nigeria