Mercy Ijato Agada is a native of Idoma in Benue State. She began her primary and secondary schools education in Benue State.
Afterward, she proceeded to Kogi State University where she bagged an LL.B and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 2007. She has been in active private practice since her call till date. She works with Onche Adakole & Co.
She has the passion for widows, orphans and less privileged and has done both civil and criminal cases pro-bono for them.
She is a member of the Nigerian Bar Association Otukpo Branch wherein she served the Branch as a treasurer and she is the immediate past Chairman of Otukpo Branch. She has attended several NEC meetings as an NEC member and several Annual General Conferences of the Nigerian Bar Association.
She has served the Bar at the Branch, State, and National levels at various times and held the following positions:
HER SERVICES TO THE BAR
• Treasurer Nigerian Bar Association Otukpo Branch 2014-2016.
• Delegate, Nigerian Bar Association National Delegate Conference Abuja, 2014.
• Member Nigerian Bar Association Otukpo Branch Human Rights Committee 2012-2014.
• Member Justice Sector Reform Committee, Benue State. 2016-2018
• Member Nigerian Bar Association Otukpo Branch Welfare Committee 2012-2014.
• Nigerian Bar Association observer in the 2015 Nigerian general election.
• Member Administration of Criminal Justice Law Draft Committee, Benue State 2017-2018.
• Chairman Continuing Legal Education Committee Nigerian Bar Association Otukpo Branch 2016-2018.
• Member Technical Committee on Conference Planning Nigerian Bar Association Annual General Conference, Lagos 2017.
• Member Nigerian Bar Association Constitution Review Committee 2017-2018.
• Member Benue State Legal Year Central Planning Committee 2016-2017.
• Chairman Nigerian Bar Association Otukpo Branch 2016-2018.
As the Chairman of Otukpo Branch she purchased plots of land for Otukpo Branch’s Bar Centre. She also facilitated the establishment of Upper Area Court 11 Otukpo.
Her hard work and sincerity when she was the treasurer of Otukpo Branch made her to have overwhelming support of members of the Branch which earned her the Chairman of Otukpo Branch when she was 10 years post-call.
She is very meticulous, accountable, sincere, prudent, reliable, humble, proactive, energetic, result oriented, passionate, disciplined and she detests injustice. She is a Christian, a Catholic by faith and happily married.
When elected as the NBA NATIONAL TREASURER of our great Association she promises to:
(1) Uphold the provisions of the Constitution of the Association to the best of her ability.
(2) Facilitate the increment of Branches’ 10% to 25% in order to assist Branches especially those that are not financially buoyant; which is to be paid within the second quarter of every year.
(3) Ensure that monies due to the Association will be spent prudently for the benefits of the Association and for the welfare of all members.
(4) Work with the President and the General Secretary to facilitate that credit facilities are made available on time to young Lawyers who intend to carry out partnership.
(5) Ensure that NEC members, members at Annual General Meeting get audited accounts and balance sheet at most three (3) days before the date fixed for meetings in order to ensure transparency and participation.
(6) Facilitate the creation of a payment portal for the payment of Bar Practice Fee from the comfort of our offices, homes and anywhere in the world.
(7) Ensure that insurance benefits of members are attended to timely
(8) Pursue all monies due to the Association rigorously and paid into the Association’s account with proper account and record kept.