Some members of the NBA Ikorodu branch otherwise known as the Due Process Group has passed a vote of no confidence in the members of the Caretaker Committee set up by the General Secretary of the NBA.
This was stated in a letter dated the 8th day of July 2018 and addressed to the NBA President. Among other things, the group is also condemning the supposed interference of the NBA General Secretary on the affairs of the branch, whilst accepting the election of the branch that was earlier nullified.
Below reads his petition
8th of July
A.B. Mahmoud, SAN
Nigerian Bar Association
The NBA National Secretariat
Dear Learned SAN
THE NBA IKORODU BRANCH ELECTIONS AND OTHER RELATED ISSUES
We, the undersigned, are members of the Nigerian Bar Association, Ikorodu Branch [DUE PROCESS GROUP] and we wish to make the following statements:
1. We condemn in the strongest terms the interference of the General Secretary of the NBA in the conduct of our Branch affairs in the last few months especially as relating to our elections
2. We accept completely, the elections held on the 28th of June 2018 that ushered in Mr. Bayo Akinlade Esq as the chairman of NBA Ikorodu Branch
3. We resist and hereby pass a vote of no confidence in the members of the caretaker committee set up by the General Secretary of NBA
4. We confirm that the NBA Ikorodu Branch validly held elections and we accept Mr. Bayo Akinlade and all other Executives as duly sworn in and currently serving the BRANCH
5. We condemn in the strongest terms, the acts of violence and intimidation by Mr. Nurudeen Ogbara, Mr. Kazeem Adebanjo, Mr. Dotun Adetunji, Mr. Ladega, Mr. I.K Thany and others who sponsored and accompanied thugs to the Branch Secretariat on the 6th of July 2018 to forcefully remove our chairman, his executives and other members of the branch.
6. We condemn all acts of violence by the above mentioned past chairmen and disqualified candidates against innocent members of this Branch
7. We condemn every act of intimidation and threat of violence against Mr. Levi Adikwaone and any other member of this Branch
8. We strongly condemn every threat by the General Secretary against Mr. Bayo Akinlade Esq.
9. We adopt the Open Letter written by Mr. Bayo Akinlade to you as representing a brief narrations of the events that has taken place in our branch in recent times
10. None of the undersigned are a party to, neither are we aware of, nor signed any disclaimer against Mr. Bayo Akinlade
11. We condemn in the most professional terms, the authorship and the distribution of the said disclaimer notices around court premises and public buildings in Lagos State
12. We humbly call for an investigation into the identity of the persons who pasted the disclaimer notices for the purposes of bringing them to justice
13. We humbly call for an investigation into the crisis that ensued at the NBA Ikorodu Branch Bar Center on the 6th of July 2018 for the purpose of bringing all the perpetrators of violence to justice
You are assured of our greatest support for your administration and cooperation in achieving a BRAVE NEW BAR.
Due Process Group