The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN) was conceived by the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) in collaboration with global development partners to address the major financing challenges facing Micro, Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (MSMEs) in Nigeria.
Our objective is to alleviate financing constraints faced by MSMEs and small Corporates in Nigeria through the provision of financing and partial credit guarantees to eligible financial intermediaries on a market-conforming and fully financially sustainable basis.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Department: Coy Secretariat & Legal
Unit: Legal Matters
Reports to (Title): Company Secretary/Legal Adviser
Job Objective and Summary
- To direct and control the provision and highest quality of effective legal services and compliance advice is provided to the institution in the most efficient manner.
- To provide support in the delivery of corporate governance and regulatory compliance responsibilities.
Core Responsibilities and Key Result Areas
Provide Legal Advice:
- Provides assistance in the management of relationship with specialist external legal firms and practitioners, as required
- Transfer files to external lawyers, in coordination with the Chief Executive Officer, and monitor performance
- Reviews and ensures updates to the Bank’s documents as needed
- Participates in collaboration with the Legal Adviser, legislative and regulatory changes or developments that might affect the institution’s operations or Board activities, and ensure briefing of the Board to aid informed decisions
- Analyses formal complaints against the Bank and provides advice on measures of action
- Ensures proper legal consultations are provided to departments / units
- Conducts review on texts of standard contracts, agreements and forms
- Assists with the registration of agreements for submission to ministries, governmental departments, relevant administrations and agencies
- Prepares Memorandum of Understanding, bills and statutes on administrative matters and conduct research on appropriate emerging legal issues
Meetings and Representation:
- Provides representation to the Bank in ensuring the efficient handling and winning resolution of all negotiations and disputes
- Participates in meetings with clients and concerned parties to discuss related legal matters
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Law
- Possession of a Post graduate qualification (i.e. LLM) is an added advantage
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association is required
- Minimum of 7 years post call cognate experience in a financial regulatory environment is required
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.