The Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators (ICMC) has been accredited by the Nigerian Bar Association Institute of Continuing Legal Education (NBA-ICLE) as a service provider to deliver professional training in Mediation/Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to legal practitioners of the Nigerian Bar. Henceforth, ICMC trainings will constitute Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) for legal practitioners in Nigeria, and participants will be entitled to CLE units/credits.
The Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators is the professional body of practitioners with the mandate to regulate the practice of Mediation, train prospective candidates, and encourage organizations and institutions to adopt Mediation and Conciliation as the primary means for addressing disputes. We organize both local and international programs.
The NBA-ICLE serves as a regulatory body to ensure that lawyers enrolled to practice Law in Nigeria remain current regarding the requisite knowledge and skills necessary to fulfill their professional responsibilities and obligations of their respective practices, and thereby improve the standard of the profession in general. The NBA-ICLE believes this will be achieved through the accredited courses offered by the Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators, such as:
1. Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training leading to Associate Membership of the Institute;
2. Advanced Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training leading to Membership of the Institute;
3. Advanced Mediation Skills Accreditation and Certification Training leading to Fellowship of the Institute;
4. ADR Registry/Secretarial Services;
5. Introduction to ADR Advocacy;
6. Advanced ADR Advocacy;
7. Advanced ADR Skills;
8. Handling Emotions in Mediation;
9. Self-Awareness in Mediation Practice;
10. Writing Mediation Settlement Agreements;
11. Landlord/Tenant Dispute Resolution;
12. Government Contract Dispute Resolution;
13. Family Dispute Mediation;
14. Victim/Offender Mediation;
15. Electoral Alternative Dispute Resolution;
16. Bank/Customer Dispute Resolution and;
17. Labour/Management Dispute Resolution.
Rule 15 (3)(d) of the Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners (2007) states thus; “In his representation of his client, a lawyer shall not fail or neglect to inform his client of the option of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms before resorting to or continuing litigation on behalf of his client.”
Legal practitioners remain the gatekeepers of dispute resolution and the courses offered by the Institute will be of immense value to the members of the Nigerian Bar Association.
The Institute has trained Judges, Magistrates, Attorneys-General, Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Deans of Faculties of Law of different Universities, Professors of Law, Directors and Officers of various Multi-door Courthouses, Dispute Resolution Officers of numerous Alternative Dispute Resolution Centres within notable organizations, Legal Advisers of Financial Institutions, Ministries and Government parastatals, senior Legal Practitioners, young Legal Practitioners, Students of the Nigerian Law School, Undergraduate Students of Law, amongst others.
ICMC runs her trainings on Mediation/ADR all over the country, and trainings may be organized for NBA Branches or Legal Departments upon request.
For more information, kindly click here to view the ICMC website, or send a mail to [email protected]
For Advert Inquiries Tele/+234 806 819 1709 E-mail: [email protected]