Guinness Nigeria Plc is a major market for Diageo: Guinness Nigeria operates in the unique and fast growing alcohol industry of over 15mhl beer potential. It is the only company that does Total Beverage Alcohol (TBA) in Nigeria. It’s an on trade dominated market but with a fast growing off trade channel.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel – Anglophone
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full Time
Job Grade Level: L4
Reports To: Lead Counsel – West and Central Africa
About this Role
- The most significant financial contribution is the effective management of legal risk e.g., through clear commercial advice to the business, contract negotiation and documentation, management of litigation, training of staff, management of key control processes to ensure internal compliance and accountability and driving ethical and compliant behaviours to promote sustainable growth.
- Southern, West and Central Africa (SWC) covers more than 14 countries across Southern, Central and West Africa. It has statutory presence in 7 countries including two listed companies (Ghana and Seychelles) and one JV (Angola) and oversees manufacturing in four countries. It also manages partnerships to manufacture and distribute the Diageo portfolio across around 35 countries in Sub Saharan Africa. It manages a full TBA portfolio: beer, RTD’s (Ready-To-Drinks), local spirits, international spirits and top end luxury spirits.
- The countries’ economies vary significantly and present different levels of opportunity and challenge for business growth as well as language diversity. There is a high level of volatility across the countries and fierce competition within the beer and spirits portfolio given Africa has the largest vibrant and growing LPA -34 consumer base.
Purpose of Role
- To provide pro-active legal leadership, support and advice in matters affecting anglophone countries in SWC, assisting the business in achieving its core strategic objectives whilst appropriately managing and mitigating the associated legal risks and driving the legal compliance agenda to preserve value (financial and reputational).
- Provide leadership in the Brand Protection agenda across West and Central Africa, coordinating efforts with internal and external stakeholders;
- Preserve value (financial and reputational) by minimising the risk of value leakage and litigation and maintaining compliance with laws and Diageo’s Codes.
- Support the W&C Lead Counsel in embedding best practice corporate governance.
- Become a key member of a pro-active, committed Legal team.
- Lead the provision of legal advice and support required by the business, including providing input on implications of strategy and providing solutions to enable delivery of business objectives.
- Function as a highly effective legal and business partner and stay particularly close to the W&C Lead Counsel.
- Provide leadership on the Brand Protection agenda and drive the organisation’s anti-illicit and anti-counterfeit efforts across the region.
- Make significant contributions in ensuring that all the department’s internal and external stakeholders receive excellent service delivery thereby ensuring that the legal department effectively partners all the functions in West and Central.
- Ensure proper contracts are in place and that the contract management system is maintained and is current.
- Ensure effective support is given to the business on all legal/commercial related issues.
- Using external counsel in a cost-effective way to optimise performance and contribute to the effective management of the legal budget.
- Raise the capabilities of internal stakeholders through coaching and training.
- Work with members of the Diageo Legal Function to ensure precedents and Diageo best practices are consistent with best practice and fully up to date.
- Work with the Business Integrity team to advise on and update internal policies and champion the compliance agenda within the West and Central team.
Qualifications, Experience, and Leadership
- Honours level or Master’s level Degree in Law
- Qualified to work as a legal practitioner in any SWC markets.
- Strong commercial law background especially in the negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts
- Strong, analytical, drafting and negotiating skills.
- Strong research skills coupled with an ability to deconstruct complex legal issues to provide cogent legal advice.
- Open and outward looking attitude.
- Strong inter-personal/communication skills.
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers.
- Strong commercial and pragmatic approach.
- At least 6 years post qualification experience as a lawyer.
Skills / Knowledge:
- Strong organisational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Some drafting ability or experience
- A good working knowledge of competition law, contract law and general commercial law
- Ability to generate respect from both the business and colleagues, for judgment, approach & commitment
- Ability to stand ground with senior colleagues
- Strong commercial and pragmatic approach.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Tel: 08066192650, 08033739869, 08061133497, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org