*Say He (CCT Chairman) Exhibited Act Unbecoming Of A Lawyer
The 1st Vice-President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr. John Aikpo-Martins and the National Welfare Secretary of the NBA. Kunle Edun have dragged the Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Danladi Umar, to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee, LPDC
In the Originating application sighted by THENIGERIALAWYER, dated 8th April, 2021.
The accompanying petition which was signed on behalf of John Aikpo-Martins and Kunle Edun by Mr. Clement Chukwuemeka (Democrat) and Mr. Bulus Atsen was addressed to the LPDC Chairman. They narrated that as Chairman of CCT, Danladi Umar ought to have exhibited a higher standard of conduct, civility, temperament, and decency when conducting his affairs, particularly with members of the public.
Clement Ugo Chukwuemeka and Bulus Atsen said “information from our clients, with very compelling and revealing evidence indicates that on the 29th day of March, 2021 Mr. Danladi Umar had cause to be at the Banex Plaza, Abuja and parked his vehicle (an SUV) wrongly which compelled the 22-year-old security guard at the Plaza, Mr. Sargwak, to politely approach him and requested that he should park his vehicle properly because it was obstructing traffic.
A”The simple and polite request of Mr. Clement Sargwak surprisingly infuriated Mr. Danladi Umar who suddenly attacked and kicked the security guard despite being held back by his security aides, it was also a fact that Mr. Danladi Umar watched with great pleasure how one of his aides gave a thunderous slap across the same security guard’s face and subsequent engagement in physical combat and inhuman treatment against the security guard in the public glare. This created a huge scene that attracted members of the public who witnessed the exhibition of unlawyerly and ungentlemanly conduct by Mr. Danladi Umar. Such action resulted in a social media frenzy that brought the legal profession into public odium, ridicule, and disrespect.
“Mr. Danladi still refused to calm down and failed to show remorse in the full glare of members of the public, who rushed to witness the gory scene.”
They annexed the video of the incident and said that Umar’s action contravenes Rule 1 of the Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners (RPC), 2007, which expressly stated that “a lawyer shall uphold and observe the Rule of Law, promote and foster the course of justice, maintain a high standard of professional conduct and shall not engage in any conduct which is unbecoming of a legal practitioner.”
They “urged the Committee to immediately commence the disciplinary process and prosecute Mr. Danladi Umar for the violation of the sacred provisions of the RPC Rules, particularly Rule 1 thereof”
- ADR and Resolution of Labour & Employment Disputes in Nigeria
- Sexual Harassment & Workplace Discrimination in Nigeria
- Validity & Enforceability of Mutual Separation Agreements under the Nigerian Labour & Employment Law
- Constructive Dismissal under the Nigerian Labour & Employment Law
- A Review of the NIC Rules & Judgements on Workplace Sexual Harassment
- Fundamentals of Trade Disputes Resolution in Nigeria
- Measure of Damages in Master-Servant Employment Disputes
- An Overview of the NIC ADR Rules & NIC ADR Centre
- Trade Unions Immunity under the Nigerian Labour Law
- National Industrial Court & the Adjudicatory Settlement of Labour & Employment Disputes in Nigeria
- Fairhearing in Labour and Employment Law