The Nigerian Bar Association Section on Business Law (NBA-SBL) has elected new council members to steer the affairs of the section for the next two years with the partner, Templars, Mr. Olumide Akpata elected as the chairman.
Among those elected were Seni Adio, as Vice chairman, Mrs. Priscilla Ogwemoh, Secretary, Mr. Sam Aiboni, Assistant Secretary, Mr. Ayuli Jemide, Treasurer, Babatunde Ajibade (SAN), advisor, research and training and Mena Ajakpovi, advisor, communications.
Others are Soji Awogbade of Aelex, Olubunmi Fayokun of Aluko & Oyebode, Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) of M.J. Onigbanjo & Co., Chinyere Okorocha of Jackson Etti & Edu and Okey Egbuchu of Consolex.
The new officers were elected at the Section’s Annual General Meeting (AGM), which took place during the 56th Annual General Conference of the NBA in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Giving his very first remarks as Chairman of the 2016/2018 Council, Akpata said: “The outgoing council worked together as a team and I assure you that as a section, there will be continuity. There is a clear direction on the way forward and we will communicate what this plan is very shortly.
“We are very grateful for the leadership we have had for the last four or five years. We have been privileged to have Gbenga Oyebode and Asue Ighodalo take us through these last few years and now the mantle has fallen on my shoulders. With the help of Council, we will hit the ground running and ensure that this Section is a shinning example not just to the association but also to the legal profession and the business community, we serve.”
Also presented at the AGM was the Section’s financial report, which revealed that the it was on a very healthy state, as a huge surplus was recorded for the first time in the history of the SBL.
Speaking about this development, the outgone chairman, Asue Ighodalo attributed this to the enormous support of his council and committees, with special regard to two new committees – Training and the Research and Publicity Committee set up at the beginning of his administration to drive the vision.
Ighodalo said: “I have been extremely privileged to lead our section over the last two years and to work with such a dedicated team of hardworking, cerebral and committed professionals who all ‘pay to serve’. I feel humbled and grateful. I ask you all to please accord even greater commitment and support to the incoming chairman and Council. I know that our section will grow from strength to strength and attain much greater heights. God bless the SBL, God bless the NBA, God bless Nigeria.”
Earlier, the SBL breakout session themed, lawyers and 21st century wealth creation, powered by Technology, touched on the realities of doing business in the 21st century, the basics in applying technological innovations to legal practice, software patentability, and competing favorably in a global market.
The Lead Speaker of the session, Chief Leo-Stan Nnamdi Ekeh of Zinox Technologies, explained the concept of a technology-based wealth creation to participants.According to him, wealth creation in the 21st century was about learning, knowledge power, skill and knowing how to improve the business digitally.
“Today, as much as 40 per cent of Nigerian lawyers have gone digital, while the other 60 per cent remain analog. The digital growth by the legal profession is not as a result of a training in Computer Science but because these ones have become compliant with the 21st Century. It is all about positive mindset,” he stated.
Book On The Dynamics of Mediation, Negotiation & Arbitration In A Globalized World [Order Your Copy]Written By Professor C.J. Amasike, Ph.D; F.DRI; F.CIArb; M.ADRg; FIPA; FCTI Price: ₦25,000 or £35 per copy [Hard Back– 21 chaps/700 pages] Contact Information Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org WhatsApp only: 0803-703-5989 Voice Call – Chris: Mobile: 0817-630-8030, Landline: 09-2913581 Office Address: 50 Julius Nyerere Crescent, [Next To The World Bank], Asokoro, Abuja – Nigeria. Bank Account Details Bank Name: UBA Plc. Account Name: International Dispute Resolution Institute Account Number: 1014072579