There is tension at the School for the Deaf and Dumb in the Kuje area of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, as suspected occultists have invaded the premises and allegedly molested some pupils.
Our correspondent learnt that the parent of a six-year-old pupil of the school first raised the alarm after she reportedly noticed signs of abuse on her child.
The number or identities of the assailants could not yet be determined as of press time, but police detectives had visited the school and commenced investigations.
Parents of some of the victims reported the matter to the Federal Ministry of Education, which also contacted the FCT Administration.
A parent, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, said, “Some yet-to-be-identified occultists have devised a means of sneaking into the school to molest the pupils, who in their estimation, cannot talk to anyone. They abduct some of them and molest them – both boys and girls. The attackers are said to be conniving with some insiders.
“There is serious brutality and sodomy going on in the school. We informed the Ministry of Education over two weeks ago but no serious action was taken since then. The school management is aware of the ugly incident, but it has failed to bring the matter to the attention of the authorities.”
The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr Sonny Echono, who led other government officials to inspect the school, on Tuesday, confirmed that investigation into the incident had since commenced.
He said, “We are here on a preliminary report; we have been carrying out the investigation for more than a week. There are certain things we have been doing here without talking about them. Our investigation is now at the final stage. A lot has been done by the Ministry of Education, the FCT Administration and the police.
“We will address Nigerians on what has been found out. The issue has to do with national security, rights of children and child abuse. Let me appeal that if there is any parent, whose child has disappeared or died in mysterious circumstances, or could not find the body of their child, please let us know.
“On the case of the six-year-old child, this is a special case and we have concluded that there was definitely an abuse of that child. What we don’t know at this stage is when, where and how that child was abused.”
During the visit to the school, our correspondent observed the government’s medical team, examining the pupils, while parents also held a meeting with the ministry officials.