The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Saturday, released a fresh timetable for the rescheduled elections.
INEC Chairman, Professor Yakubu Mahmood released the new schedule of activities for the February 23 Polls, after he explained why the commission postponed the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
He said in the light of the new development, the commission had come up with a reworked scale of activities leading to the polls.
Below are the activities INEC has lined up for the next few days, the Commission will work on the basis of the following plan:
1. Configuration of the Smart Card Readers – Sunday 17th/Thursday 21st February 2019
2. Completion/confirmation of deployment of materials – Monday l8th February 2019
3. Receipt and deployment of sensitive materials to LGAs – Wednesday 20/Thursday 21st February 2019
4. Refresher training for ad hoc staff – Thursday 21st February 2019
5. Deployment of personnel to RACs – Friday 22nd of February 2019
6. Election Day – Saturday 23rd, February 2019.
The INEC Chairman at the meeting with stakeholders in Abuja, ruled out political influence in the postponement, saying that the commission takes full responsibility for the anomaly.
Giving reasons for the postponement, Prof. Yakubu said, “The decision has nothing to do with security, political influence or inadequate resources”
Prof Yakubu said some sensitive materials have been distributed. He, however, noted that all such materials have been retrieved and will be taken back to the custody of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
He promised that there will be a proper audit to account for all materials.