DAILY LAW TIPS (Tip 338) by Onyekachi Umah, Esq., LLM. ACIArb(UK)
FALSIFICATION OF AGE & ITS PUNISHMENT IN NORTHERN NIGERIA.
In any part of Nigeria, falsification of age is a serious criminal offence. Most people falsify age through any of the following means;
1. By writing, stating, providing or verbally claiming a wrong age
2. By deposing to an oath and making an affidavit stating a wrong age.
3. By re-writing, doctoring, erasing and forging documents containing their age.
As seen in the above instances, papart of falsification of age, most people also commit FORGERY in the process of falsifying age. Where a person that falsifies age is a judge/judicial officer bound to always state truth, such officer may also be charged with the committing the offence of FALSE EVIDENCE.
In Northern part of Nigeria, including states in the Northern part of Nigeria and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;
1. Falsification of age includes the provision of false information and is punishable with imprisonment for not more than 6 months and or fine of not more than N40.00 but where the falsification of age/ false information is related to an offence or arrests, the offence is punishable with imprisonment for not more than 2 years and or with fine.
2. Falsification of age/provision of false information that is designed to affects or influence the action or omission of a public servant (government) is punishable with imprisonment for not more than 1 year and or with fine of N40.00.
3. Falsification of age/provision of false information by a judicial officer or any other person bound by oath to always state the truth, is a criminal offence punishable with 7 years imprisonment and fine. But where the falsified age is used at any judicial proceeding, the offence is punishable with imprisonment for not more than 14 years and with fine.
4. Issuance or the use of certificate of birth with a falsified age is a criminal offence punishable with punishable with 7 years imprisonment and fine.
5. Making or using of False Age Declaration/Affidavit of age is a criminal offence and punishable with 7 years imprisonment and fine
6. Forging, Using, Possessing, Dishonest making and signing, Dishonest cancellation and alteration and the Dishonest procurement of another person to forge age document/certificate/affidavit or parts of such, are crimes of forgery. And, punishable with maximum of 14 years imprisonment and or with fine.
My authorities are Sections 1, 139, 140, 156, 158, 162, 163, 164, 362, 363, 364, 366, 368, of Penal Code Law.
NOTE: Sharing or modifying or publishing this publication without giving credit to Onyekachi Umah, Esq. and “LearnNigerianLaws.com” is a criminal breach of copyright and will be prosecuted. Please share this publication till it gets to those that need it most. Save a Nigerian today!
To receive our Daily Law Tips for free follow our Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube via “@LearnNigerianLaws”.
This publication is the writer’s view not a legal advice and does not create any form of relationship. You may reach the writer for more information.
Powered by www.LearnNigerianLaws.com