As the Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association draws closer, many lawyers in the Nigerian Legal community keep on pouring out their observations and thoughts about the big Event. These observations have been ranging from criticisms to eulogizes, yet little seems to have been done on facts finding and captivating expositions.
The CourtRoom Mail has however molded the dust in one of its article titled: “Ten Hard Truths about the NBA Annual Conference –You will like 8 and 9”. In this short but interesting article, Court Room mail gave to the sun, ten truths about the Conference that many Lawyers and of course observers do not take into cognizance in the Event.
Bellow is excerpts of the “Ten Hard Truths”
1. More than 90% of Lawyers treat it as a Social event: Make no mistake, the excitement that normally follows the NBA annual general conference every year has nothing to do with the topics, speakers or panellists at the conference. No. For more than 90% of lawyers, it is about the fun, the social events.
2. More than 95% of lawyers who attended the conference last year will not remember the theme of last years’s conference: Pick a phone right now and put a call to a hundred lawyers who attended the 2016 conference, Ninety five of them will not remember the theme of last year’s conference. The remaining 5% will struggle to remember.
3. For many lawyers, the parameter for measuring the conference is the quality of the social events and not the quality of the lectures: If the dinner, parties are dry, then the conference failed and that’s it. We do not care if you brought Aristotle or Socrates to deliver lectures, after all what will they say that we have not heard before. More than 80% of Lawyers will tell you this.
4. Gate Crashers enjoy the conference too: More than 20% of lawyers who arrive NBA Conference host cities every year, but do not register for the conference. They either believe that the fees are not accounted for or are exorbitant. However it is, do not make any mistake of thinking that this group do not enjoy the conferences. What happens in the halls is inconsequential.
5. More than 70% of lawyers attending this year’s conference do not know the theme of this year’s conference: I can tell you that many lawyers after reading this will go back to read the theme gain. They have read and seen it everywhere but will not be able to tell you now if you put them on a hot seat to tell you. Do not get confused, about 50% of members of the Technical Committee on conference planning (TCCP) will struggle with the theme. If you want to have a test, simply, call them now and ask but not after they have read this.
6. Serious Networking happens in the evenings: My dear, do not turn yourself into a poster boy distributing your cards as if they will expire the next day. I can tell you, many of those cards will be forgotten in Lagos or washed away by dry cleaners. If your card makes it home with the person who collected it, the email will not come too quickly. Nobody will hand over his business to you by just having your card. The real networking happens over discussions usually held outside the conference venues. Lawyers Table Tennis Open (MFON USORO) Cup finals holds on the 23rd of September in Lagos
7. The problem of logistics must happen even if the TCCP decides to host only a hundred lawyers.
8. At the conference, some lawyers will meet and get married years later. It happens.
9 . Some things will definitely happen in Vegas that will stay in Vegas.
10 . The last hard truth is that the TCCP will never change any of these.
Seen the Hard truths of CourtRoom Mail? TheNigeriaLawyer will not put itself to the tests in the Ten Hard truths, but if you really want to know how true they are, just try any of the tests given by CourtRoom Mail. But make sure you tick the tide, by this we mean, take the cautions. i.e, Call some members of the TCCP and ask them of the Conference’s theme, but don’t let them know about this.