A publication house in Abuja is looking to recruit a talented and enthusiastic Copy Editor to contribute to setting its editorial direction and expand its readership.
The right candidate will have proven experience drafting, reviewing and correcting lengthy articles and documents, excellent judgement on article selection, proven management skills and be decisive and comfortable coordinating a team.
Furthermore, he/she will be friendly, dedicated, a team player and have a passion for the industry. Working directly with experienced professionals, you’ll be given the support you need to fast-track and excel in this position. This position will suit a recent Masters graduate in Law who is not looking to practice or a recent Masters graduate in any of the social sciences who has undergone original thorough research.
Deliverables include but are not limited to:
1. Manage the manuscript submission process; verify that articles being submitted meet the guidelines for submission as stipulated in every call for papers; maintain inflow of high quali articles.
2. Manage the peer-review process; liaise with the editorial team on assigning peer-reviewers to authors.
3. Review submissions to ensure it is relevant and legally grounded.
4. Liaise regularly with contributors, peer reviewers and editors to provide support and ensure they meet deadlines.
5. Proofread and edit manuscripts before final print.
6. Provide suggestions for improving structure, style and clarity of content for the journal, as well as come up with methods of increasing submissions.
7. Source contributions from legal practitioners and academics.
8. Ease collaborating with peers and leaders within and outside the organization including production and design staff.
Skills & Requirements
1. Excellent command of written (syntax, grammar, punctuation and spelling) and verbal communication skills including strong presentation skills.
2. Strong familiarity/proficiency with legal terminologies.
3. Knowledge of the Oxford Standard Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA) is required.
4. Strong typing and computer skills (using an Apple Computer <MacOs>).
5. Ability to multitask and work on more than one project.
6. Ability to work independently, as well as cooperatively among numerous departments, individuals and high-level legal external professionals.
7. Top notch time management, prioritization and advanced organization skills.
8. High level of integrity and professional accountability.
1. Minimum qualification of a Master’s degree in law any social sciences course.
2. 1-year minimum experience in a similar role, preferably with a legal publication.
3. National Youth Service Corporation (NYSC) certificate or certificate of exemption.
If this sounds like the right place and position for you, we would love to hear from you. Kindly
send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 27th November 2017