Nigeria’s National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has accused the military of disproportionate use of force leading to the death of more than 380 members of Shiite Muslims.
The commission released the report on Thursday in Abuja blaming the Army for the incidence that occurred between December 12 and 14, last year.
The military engaged the Shiites, who were in a procession under the banner of Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), lead by the incarcerated Sheik, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky.
Although the Nigerian Army denied killing as many as 380 sect members, the Judicial Commission of Inquiry instituted by the Kaduna State government confirmed the killings.
The commission released a list of those killed in the clash, which happened in Zaria, university city in Kaduna state.
The confrontation occured after Shiite blocked major roads during their procession, denying the Chief of Army Staff, Gen Tukur Burutai, access.
The commission concluded that the Army was culpable for “unreasonable use of force in violation’’.
The Shiite Muslims currently in detention, the commission, said should be tried speedily for any offences (if any) established against them, and compensation paid to those who were injured, killed.
The Chairman of the Special Investigation Panel of the Commission, Mr Okechukwu Ojukwu, while submitting the report, said soldiers who violated the rules of engagement should be prosecuted.