The Nigerian Bar Association through the Section on legal Practice had a session at the 51st Annual Conference of the Nigerian Law Teachers Association Conference which held in Abuja between the 1st -6th of July, 2018. The theme was “Law, Justice & Society”
The session “titled “Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility- The foundation of good lawyering” was chaired by Professor Epiphany Azinge, SAN with Yemi Candide-Johnson, SAN as the main speaker. Other discussants were the President of the Nigerian Bar Association, A. B. Mahmoud, SAN, Mia Essien, SAN, CArb., Chairman of the Section on Legal Practice, the Hon. Attorney General of Oyo State, Seun Abimbola and Boma Alabi, OON.
In the main paper by Yemi Candide-Johnson, SAN the main speaker noted that an appropriate ethical foundation is a fundamental part of the law and impacts the quality of legal services and something for which teachers of law are responsible. He opined that a few hours in Law school were insufficient.
It is therefore imperative for Ethics to be added as an undergraduate programme thereby providing students with an understanding of the concept of professionalism and ethical standards for layers.
The NBa President also lent his support and noted that the Nigerian Bar Association had through the Nigerian Bar Association Review Committee recommended the need to have ethics as an undergraduate programme.
The Chairman of the Section in the course of the session informed delegates that the Section on Legal Practice, which was one of the sponsors of the conference (alongside Principles Law Partnership, of which she is the Managing partner) was ready to partner with their various higher institutions by providing speakers for their various law weeks or related events once the section is duly invited and informed.
This way, the Section will be able to meet its mandate.
In related news the Section on Legal Practice has appointed Chairpersons of its 14 committees. They are as follows:
• International Legal Practice – Funke Adekoya, SAN
• Civil Litigation –Roland Itoyah Otaru, SAN
• Democratic Process & Electoral Litigation – Ferdinand Orbih, SAN
• Law and Individual Rights – Ayodele Akintunde, SAN
• Law Firm Management – Bunmi Ibraheem
• Criminal Litigation – Anthony Emeka Anaenugu, SAN
• Judges Forum – Charles UwensuyiEdosomwan, SAN
• Succession Trust and Estate Planning – Sola Adegbomire
• Professional Ethics – Folashade Alli
• Medicine & The Law – LaoluOsanyin
• Cross Border Crimes & Financial Malpractice – Charles Adeogun-Philips
• Constitutional and Administrative Law – Ken Njemanze, SAN
• Family Law and Child Rights – Ezinwa Okoroafor –
• Professional Development – Professor Augustine Agom
The Section’s Chair, Mrs Essien SAN said ‘we are looking forward to reaching all parts of the country with its various activities which the various committees will soon unfold. Members are encouraged to get in touch with their various Chairpersons through the Section Administrator and Section Officer, BonuadeAderemi and FadkemiOttun, respectively.’