The Federal Government has directed the invocation of statutory provision of “no work no pay” on any worker who joined the strike action called by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) over the new fuel price regime.
The directive was contained in a statement issued Tuesday night, signed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal.
He said the order was sequel to the notice issued by the NLC for workers to embark on an indefinite strike from Wednesday in defiant of an order of National Industrial Court.
“This notice is regrettably given in spite of an order by the Industrial Court against the strike action.
“All workers, whether in public or private sector, are reminded of the Trade Dispute Act, 2004 which provides:
“‘Where any worker takes part in a strike, he shall not be entitled to any wages or remuneration for the period of the strike and any such period shall not count for the purpose of reckoning the period of continuous employment and all rights dependent on continuity of employment shall be prejudicially affected accordingly.”
“Government, therefore, calls upon and advises all workers to respect the laws of the land and to desist from participating in an illegal strike action.
“Government undertakes to guarantee the safety of workers and their work places, and expects that normal work will continue in the interest of the nation, ” he said.
Lawal said that the security agencies had been directed to ensure unimpeded access to offices, work places and markets.
He assured that acts of intimidation, harassment, including barricading of gates, locking up of offices, blocking of roads and preventing workers from carrying out their lawful duties would be met with appropriate response by the law enforcement agencies.