COMMUNIQUE ISSUED DURING THE MEETING OF THE PRESIDENT-IN-COUNCIL OF THE CHRISTIAN LAWYERS’ FELLOWSHIP OF NIGERIA(CLASFON) HELD BETWEEN THE 10TH-12TH MARCH 2016 AT THE ROYAL CHOICE INN AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY ZARIA, KADUNA STATE.
The President- in- Council meeting of the Christian Lawyers Fellowship of Nigeria held at the Royal Choice Inn Ahmadu Bello University Zaria from the 10th-12th March, 2016and resolved as follows:
1. CLASFON notes with grave concern the discriminative posture of Nasarawa State and some other Northern States against Christians in the area of employment into the State Civil Service, appointment into public offices, and the denial of issuance of Certificate of Occupancy over land to Christian Organizations and condemns such acts as gross violation of the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. CLASFON therefore calls on the affected States to comply with the relevant provisions of the Constitution especially Sections 14 (3)& (4) Section 15 (2) and Section 41 which prohibit such discrimination.
2. THE PROPOSED EXECUTIVE BILL IN KADUNA STATE SEEKING TO REGULATE RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES IN THE STATE:
CLASFON condemns in totality the Bill on the Religious Preaching Law 2015 which is proposed substitute of the Religious Preaching Law of 1984 seeking to further regulate religious activities in Kaduna State. This Bill as well as the old law of 1984 clearly contravenes the constitutionally guaranteed freedom of thought, conscience and religion under Section 38 of the Constitution of federal Republic of Nigeria and is capable of destroying the fragile hitherto achieved peace within the State. CLASFON therefore calls on both the Executive and Legislative arms of the State Government to halt and jettison the passing of the Bill into law as well as the enforcement of the old Law as it is unconstitutional.
3. KILLING S BY FULANI HERDSMEN IN THE AGATU COMMUNITY AND OTHER PARTS OF BENUE STATE:
CLASFON decries the wanton and criminal acts of killings by Fulani herdsmen in the Agatu community and other areas along the middle belt of Nigeria and calls on the Federal Government and its security agencies to ensure the protection of Life and property as enshrined in the Constitution. Furthermore C LASFON enjoins the Federal Government to take a critical look at the issue of creating grazing land across the Nation in view of the security concerns that this will pose and rather proffer a well thought out and lasting solutions to this menace.
4. ABDUCTION OF FEMALES, RELIGIOUS CONVERSION AND FORCED MARRIAGE:
CLASFON expresses deep concern about the very disturbing and barbaric trend of abducting females especially the under-aged ones, forceful conversion to Islam and forcing them into early marriage. CLASFON demands our law enforcement agencies to ensure the immediate release of all the victims of these heinous crimes, the prosecution of the perpetrators and adequate compensation paid for the trauma suffered by the said victims CLASFON also condemns the connivance and/or endorsements of these acts by some traditional institutions in the Northern Region of the Nation.
5. PLANS BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO REHABILITATE STATES AFFECTED BY THE ACTIVITIES OF THE BOKO HARAM INSURGENTS IN THE NORTH EAST:
CLASFON commends as laudable the decision by the Federal Government to rehabilitate States in the North Eastern part of the Country that were ravaged by the hideous activities of the Boko Haram insurgents and call on the National Assembly to include Taraba State as one of the States to be rehabilitated. CLASFON further demands that the Federal Government and its relevant agencies should ensure that there is no discrimination whatsoever in the sharing of relief materials and the rehabilitating process.
ALOZIE C. ECHEONWO
JOLLY O. OBAZEE
For more information …… visit our website: http://www.clasfon.com/