President Muhammadu Buhari has approved a 14-member Federal Government team to renegotiate the 2009 agreement with unions in federal universities, federal polytechnics and federal colleges of education in order to ensure sustainable peace and industrial harmony in the nation’s tertiary institutions.
The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, in a statement issued by the ministry in Abuja on Friday, said the renegotiation team would dialogue with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) and Non Academic Staff Union of Associated & Allied Institutions (NASU).
The new team is headed by Dr. Wale Babalakin, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN).
The government team comprises the following:
• Wale Babalakin, SAN; (Chairman)
• M.M. Jibril, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Lafia
• Nimi Briggs, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Lokoja
• Senator Gbemisola Saraki, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Otuoke
• Lawrence Ngbale, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Birnin Kebbi
• Prince Alex Mbata, Pro-Chancellor, Imo State University, Owerri
• Olufemi Bamiro, Pro-Chancellor, Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijagun
• Representatives, Federal Ministry of Education
• Representative, Federal Ministry of Labour & Employment
• Representative, Federal Ministry of Finance
• Representative, Federal Ministry of Justice
• Representative, Federal Ministry of Budget & National Planning
• Representative of the National Salaries, Incomes & Wages Commission (NSIWC)
• Representative of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF)
Meanwhile, Buhari has also approved the reconstitution of the governing councils of university of Port Harcourt and Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, which were dissolved following the recent crises that engulfed the two institutions.
The new governing councils would serve for a term of four years, in the first instance, effective from December 28, 2016.